¡Buen Camino!

Dear Friends,
It has taken three tries and nine years, but as of July 2012, I have finally walked the entire Way of Compostela from my former home in Leuven/Louvain, Belgium, to Santiago de Composela!
My first pilgrimage experience from the French frontier with Spain to Santiago itself took place in 2003. You can read the details of this first walk along the famous Camino across Spain in my book, To The Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. (2008). (You can order it from the publisher, from Amazon.com, or from your local bookseller).
In the summer and early fall of 2007, I walked from Belgium most of the way across France, with the hope of at least making it to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port near the Spanish border, where I began the first pilgrimage. I didn't quite make it. A bad case of plantar fasciitis took me down in the Bordeaux village of Sainte-Ferme. I continued on to Santiago by train and bus, but the "defeat of my feet" and those last 175 miles or so that were left undone, gnawed at me over the ensuing five years. Happily, I was finally able to wrap up this grand pilgrimage with a third walk from Sainte-Ferme to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port this past summer (2012). It was a joy to have completed all 2,370 kilometers between Leuven and Santiago.
My adventures and misadventures, my thoughts and prayers of both the 2007 and 2012 pilgrimages have been shared in this blog. I will leave the blog and its archives open for some time to come; if you want to read bits and pieces of it, feel free, but remember that the beginning is at the bottom and the end is at the top.
My contact e-mail remains the same: kacodd@gmail.com; I am always happy to receive mail!
As the pilgrims in Spain greet one another, so I greet you, my reader: "Buen Camino!"
And as the people of France greet their pilgrims along the "Chemin", I also wish to you: "Courage!"

Grace and peace to you all!

Monday, August 6, 2007

Two Week Layover

Leuven. The news from the Leuven orthopedist is mostly good: the left leg does not have a new fracture. There is an old one there, presumably the one the doctor in Tonnerre spotted, but it is almost certainly the remains of a skiing injury from almost thirty years ago. The real problem, is, in fact, a pretty serious case of tendonitis. The doc here recommended as the fastest way to have it heal having the leg in a cast for two weeks; that should do it, and thereafter, I should be ready to begin walking again. So the cast went on and I am now hobbling about with a fairly heavy load of fiberglass wrapped around my lower leg.
Right now the coming two weeks seems like an eternity to me, but the days will pass and perhaps I can get some good reading done. I'll do my best not to get anxious, nervous, or irritable in the days to come and just keep seeing even this as part of the pilgrimage, a twist I didn't expect, certainly, but just as much an "etape" on the Way as everything else I've experienced thus far.
Now, it is out for pizza dinner in Leuven with the few seminarians still floating around this otherwise very empty American College.